Monday, May 19, 2014

And back to Court, April 1859


The Magistrates in a detail from [Courtroom Scene] by Charles Lyall, circa 1854, courtesy of the State Library of Victoria Collection.  H87.63/2/7B


INDIGO POLICE COURT.
Wednesday, April 6th, 1859,
(Before J. P. Morphy, Esq, J. P. and
Dr. Beckett, J. P.)

Annie O'Keefe v George Griffiths.
Claim for £3 15 0 for work and labour done.

Annie O'Keefe, sworn, deposed. Am a single woman, and live at Beechworth. About four months ago I entered into the services of the defendant, at the rate of 25 s. per week. I left him about seven weeks since. I gave him notice of my intention to leave ; he consented to it. He paid me all, but the last three weeks, amounting to £3 15 0. I asked him for the money on Monday last ; he said he could not pay it till his place was furnished.

To the defendant. I did not get £3 the day I went to Beechworth.

Susan Griffiths, sworn, stated. Am a married woman, and live at Indigo. A fortnight before the complainant left I gave her £3, which left a balance of 10s. against her She was in my service a fortnight afterwards ; there is a balance of £2 coming to her.

Order for £2, with costs.  

INDIGO POLICE COURT. (1859, April 7). Ovens and Murray Advertiser (Beechworth, Vic. : 1857 - 1918), p. 3. Retrieved October 8, 2013, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article117926503


The servant got her money, though only what the Griffiths' said they owed her, but they also paid the costs. 

It is interesting to see that the Griffiths could now keep a servant.  Annie O'Keefe had joined them in the previous December, when Susan was seven months pregnant and with a toddler at foot.  It seems likely she was employed to help with the housekeeping, and possibly in the dance-hall.


No comments:

Post a Comment